The Ultimate Guide to DHEA for Women
If you didn’t already know, DHEA is a hormone produced by the body’s adrenal glands. It’s used to make androgens and estrogens (the sex hormones), and it peaks around the age of 25. However, our DHEA levels decline as we age. Therefore, supplements of DHEA for women have been gaining popularity.
If this sounds intriguing to you, keep reading. As leaders in the gynecology industry, our team is explaining everything you need to know about DHEA for women in today’s blog post.
Uses of DHEA for Women
Wondering what DHEA supplements can do for you? Here are some uses of DHEA :
- Heart disease. Certain studies have linked low DHEA levels with an increased risk of heart disease.
- Depression. There is also some indication that taking DHEA supplements can improve symptoms of depression. However, more research is needed.
- Osteoporosis. Preliminary studies have suggested that DHEA might reduce bone loss in older women. (However, the results aren’t the same for men.)
- Obesity. Animal studies have also found that taking DHEA can help weight loss. Human studies found that taking DHEA didn’t change whole body weight but improved total body fat and cholesterol.
- Libido. Another important benefit of DHEA supplements is that they might help improve the sex drive of older women.
- Menopause. Many peri-menopausal women experience menopausal symptoms such as decreased sex drive, diminished skin tone, and vaginal dryness. However, DHEA supplements may offer relief from these symptoms.
How to Take It
To begin, the dose of DHEA depends on a person’s gender, age, and condition. Additionally, DHEA has potential side effects and might interact problematically with certain medications. As a result, DHEA supplements should only be taken with your doctor’s permission and/or guidance.
Best Gynecologist in Northern Virginia
Are you interested in taking DHEA supplements? A skilled gynecologist can help determine if they are right for you. If you’re looking for a gynecologist in Northern Virginia, Dr. Hall and our team at The Menopause Center are the best in the industry. Book your appointment today.
Add A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.